Extra Tail Light Kit Instructions
Tools you will need:
Pliers (Medium to Large is best)
1. Open hatch and unsnap the carpet in the rear of the car, and take the carpet out of the car.
2. Remove the carpet clips and the white drain hose.
3. Remove the screw that holds the back of the tail light together.
4. If you are having troubles removing the back of the tail light it might be because the body of the car hits the back of the light, like on my 85.5. It’s very helpful to take some pliers and bend this corner piece of metal towards the outside of the car. You can see where the metal has been hitting the back of the tail light.(I have taken the tail light apart many times.)
5. Gently pull off the back of the tail lights.
6. Unclip the metal board from the tail light backing. Push on these black clips and the metal board will come off
7. The metal board should be off, like this.
8. Now you will have to bend over both metal tabs that are sticking up to a 45 degree angle. Take pliers and bend the tabs outward to about a 45 degree angle.
9. Remove the brown ground wire and the gray power wire from the light bulb. The connectors might be hard to remove. The pliers can come in handy here.
10. Connect the brown wire from the tail light to one of the wires from the light bulb socket. The wire color on the tail light kit is not important. Then connect the gray wire from the tail light to the other wire from the tail light socket. The second picture is a close up of the connector. The red arrow shows where you will connect the wires coming from the car (brown, and gray wires). The green arrow shows where you will connect the whole thing to the car (either the ground for the tail lights, or the positive slot on an existing light)
11. Now take the brown wire and connect them back to the ground, and the gray wire back to the light bulb and push the light bulb holder into place.
12. *Optional* To hold hold the light bulb socket in place better you can bend the metal tabs back straight up and down.
13. Reinstall everything back together in the reverse order. Make sure all three tabs are clipped in properly when reinstalling the metal board into the base of the tail light.